Ioannis Vlastos PhD
I am an ENT surgeon working as a consultant otolaryngologist for the Greek Police and the pediatric otolaryngology departments of Euroclinic and Iaso private hospitals in Athens, Greece. Upon my graduation, in 2002, from the Medical School of the University of Crete I worked as a specialty trainee in various hospitals in Athens and Crete, Greece and as a lecturer for more than a year in the Technological and Educational Institute of Crete. I received my Certificate of Specialist Training in Otolaryngology in 2011.
My subspecialty and academic interests focus on pediatric otolaryngology and rhinology and more specifically on snoring and sleep apnea, otitis media and chronic rhinitis and rhinosinusitis. My PhD thesis, granted from the University of Athens in 2011, was on outcomes research in pediatric otology. I have received more than 40,000 euros European grants for translational research purposes and I have been involved in several research and audit projects that have led to over 20 peer-reviewed publications.
Selected publications in relation to pediatric otolaryngology:
- Vlastos IM, M. Houlakis, D. Kandiloros, L. Manolopoulos, E. Ferekidis, I Yiotakis. Adenoidectomy plus ventilation tubes’ insertion vs adenoidectomy plus myringotomy in OSAS children. J Laryngol Otol. 2011 Mar;125(3):274-8
- Vlastos IM, Hajiioannou JK. Clinical practice Diagnosis and treatment of childhood snoring. Eur. J. Pediatr Eur J Pediatr. 2010 Mar;169(3):261-7
- Vlastos IM, Koudoumnakis E, Houlakis M, Nasika M, Griva M, Stylogianni E. Cleft lip and palate treatment of 530 children over a decade in a single centre. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2009 Jul;73(7):993-7
- Vlastos IM, Kandiloros D, Manolopoulos L, Ferekidis E, Yiotakis I: Quality of life in children with chronic suppurative otitis media with or without cholesteatoma. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2009 Mar;73(3):363-9.
- Vlastos IM, Parpounas K, Economides J, Helmis G, Koudoumnakis E, Houlakis M. Tonsillectomy versus tonsillotomy performed with scissors in children with tonsillar hypertrophy. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. Jun;72(6):857-63. 2008
- Vlastos IM, Hajiioannou J, Houlakis M. Otitis media with effusion: what the parents want to know. J Laryngol Otol. 2007 Mar 13:1-4
Selected publications in relation to rhinology and general otolaryngology
- Georgalas C, Vlastos I, Picavet V, van Drunen C, Garas G, Prokopakis E. Is chronic rhinosinusitis related to allergic rhinitis in adults and children? Applying epidemiological guidelines for causation. Allergy. 2014 Jul;69(7):828-33.
- Prokopakis E, Vlastos IM, Tsagournisakis M, Christodoulou P, Kawauchi H, Velegrakis G. Canalith Repositioning Procedures among 965 Patients with Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Audiol Neurootol. 2012 Nov 6;18(2):83-88.
- Prokopakis E, Vlastos I, Pant H, Ferguson BJ. Chronic rhinosinusitis: observation or treatment. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 Feb;13(1):31-6.
- Prokopakis EP, Vlastos IM, Picavet VA, Nolst Trenite G, Thomas R, Cingi C, Hellings PW The golden ratio in facial symmetry. Rhinology. 2013 Mar;51(1):18-21
- Prokopakis E, Vlastos IM, Ferguson BJ, Scadding G, Kawauchi H, Georgalas C, Papadopoulos N, Hellings PW. SCUAD and Chronic Rhinosinusitis. Reinforcing hypothesis driven research in difficult cases. Rhinology Rhinology. 2014 Mar;52(1):3-8